Divorce & Dissolution

Divorce & Dissolution: Frequently Asked Questions

We often find that we are asked the same question by clients and therefore we have included brief answers to some of them. These are not intended to replace legal advice. Each case is different and your particular circumstances may mean that the particular answers below do not apply to you. Contact us for a free initial consultation and we can answer any questions you might have.

How long will a divorce take?

Provided your spouse cooperates with the divorce proceedings and promptly returns paperwork your spouse needs to sign to the court a divorce takes between 5-6 months. It could be longer if your spouse does not return their paperwork and has to be personally served with the divorce documentation.

How much will a divorce cost?

We charge a fixed price for divorce set out here: fixed fee divorce. Our fees include an initial appointment when we provide you with advice in relation to all matters connected with your divorce. We handle all the paperwork and correspond with your spouse or their solicitors and the court.

Can I separate without divorcing my spouse?

Yes. Many clients who separate on amicable grounds prefer to wait until they have been apart for two years and divorce on the grounds of consent rather than raise allegations of behaviour or adultery. However, if the divorce is delayed this does not prevent you reaching an agreement with your spouse with regard to the children or finances which can be incorporated into a separation agreement.

There is also the option of issuing judicial separation proceedings where for religious or cultural reasons divorce would not be appropriate. However, a judicial separation does not bring your marriage to an end and the court has no jurisdiction to make a pension sharing order.

Does it matter who starts the divorce or dissolution proceedings?

Not in normal circumstances. However, as Manchester solicitors we prefer that our clients issue proceedings in our local family court where we know the judges. The main advantage is that the person who issues the petition is in control of the proceedings and can decide, for example, whether or not to delay applying for the decree absolute until financial matters are resolved.

What is "unreasonable behaviour"?

This covers all aspects of behaviour from extreme cases of domestic violence and drug and alcohol abuse to nagging, not pulling their weight in the family home or spending too much time or money on their hobbies.

Your question not answered?

Contact us for an initial consultation and we can answer any questions you might have specific to your individual circumstances.

Book Initial Consultation

Or call
0161 883 0460